Scientific Subcommittee Chairpersons and Members
The ESA Scientific Committee (SC) is seeking to recruit new chairpersons and members for its Scientific Subcommittees.
All terms of office will commence on 1 January 2017.
The deadline for applications is Friday, 15 July 2016 (23:59 CET)
Applications to different sub-committee are not allowed.
Subcommittee Chairperson Vacancies
- Subcommittee 3: Regional Anaesthesia (1 vacancy)
- Subcommittee 6: Neuroanaesthesiology (1 vacancy)
- Subcommittee 8: Acute and Chronic Pain Management and Palliative Medicine (1 vacancy)
- Subcommittee 11: Intensive Care Medicine (1 vacancy)
Subcommittee Member Vacancies
- Subcommittee 5: Paediatric Anaesthesiology (1 vacancy)
- Subcommittee 11: Respiration and Airway Management (2 vacancies)
- Subcommittee 16:Ethics (1 vacancy)
Requirements for Application
The ESA Scientific Subcommittee chairs must have been an ESA active member for at least two year prior to the year of the application.
Example: if a member wishes to apply for a chairperson position in 2016 (with term of office starting in January 2017), he/she must have been active member as of 2014.
The ESA Scientific Subommittee member must have been an ESA member (active, affiliate or trainee) for at least one year prior to the year of the application.
Example: if a member wishes to apply for a member position in 2016 (with term of office starting in January 2017), he/she must have been active member as of 2015.
Terms of office
- For chairs, the term of office is 3 years, plus 1.5 years as Past Chair, subject to availability and commitment to the chairpersons’ tasks. A member of one subcommittee can become its chair no later than at the end of their 3rd year.
- For members, the term of office is 3 years, renewable twice for one year (maximum of 5 years).
- Members of the subcommittee can apply to the chair position as far as the cumulated terms of office (member+chair) does not exceed 7,5 years.
The ESA Scientific Committee fulfills the following functions:
- The Scientific Subcommittees provide a European platform for contact and exchange of ideas and scientific initiatives within their specific field of interest. They need to provide a forum for exchange of ideas and initiatives at the different ESA annual meetings.
- Determines the Scientific Programme of ESA Scientific meetings. The scientific program committee will put together the program based on the proposals based on the suggestions by SSC members, along with other ESA entities (Research Committee, EJA, ESA Academy, etc) and external entities (ESA members, specialist societies, etc). This program will be presented and discussed in a meeting with the SSC chairs in order to come to a final proposal. The programme committee consists of the SC chair, SC past or deputy chair, the RC chair and the ESA Academy chair.
- Determines the Scientific Programme for invited ESA panels at scientific meetings of other societies.
- Monitors the process of the Scientific Programme at the Scientific meetings.
- Assesses abstracts submitted for presentation at Euroanaesthesia
- Proposes, co-ordinates and administers the Euroanaesthesia Best Abstract Prize.
- Carries out other functions as decided by the Board.
Travel expenses to attend meetings (usually held twice a year) are provided according to standard ESA reimbursement policy.
How to apply
Candidates must send the application form with CV (maximum 2 sides of A4) to the ESA Secretariat by e-mail to Ms. Raffaella Donadio – firstname.lastname@example.org – no later than 16 September 2016.
- The application form for chairperson can be downloaded from here.
- The application form for member can be downloaded from here.
Further details regarding the role, term of office and application conditions are available here.
For any further information please contact Ms. Raffaella Donadio – email@example.com